We are bracing for a “possible winter revenge” starting next week… while the weather people are unsure whether we are going to see snow, sleet or rain…. so while we wait for the cold weather… I decided to get on some with cold weather soup. I had pinned this soup a long time …. finally made it. This recipe is from Two Blue Lemons. She has some awesome recipes…. I follow her on FB as well… she not only shared what she makes, but also delicious recipes from other bloggers.
Recipe from Two Blue Lemons.
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper (I did not have this so I used pinch of red chili powder)
1 28 oz. can tomatoes for a good cause (I bought crushed tomatoes)
28 oz. vegetable stock (I used 32 oz Swanson 1/3 less Sodium Vegetable stock)
1 can white beans, rinsed (I bought Cannellini Beans)
2 cups kale, chopped
1/3 lb. whole wheat chiocciole pasta (use your favorite GF pasta) (I used shell pasta)
parmesean cheese (optional)
1. Coat the bottom of a soup pan with olive oil, stir in chopeed garlic and onion, let cook until the onion is translucent – 5 minutes.
2. Add chopped carrots, herbs, cayenne, and salt – saute for 15 minutes.
3. Add jar of tomatoes, stock, and kale.
4. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes
5. While the soup is simmering, cook pasta until al dente
6. When the soup has reduced and is the thickness you like, add the pasta and beans, cook together for a few minutes to heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper
Serve with some grated/shaved parmesan cheese. I ate mine with a side of cibbata bread… Yum… The simple ingredients and flavor make this soup delicious. The beans and pasta make it really hearty. Absolutely worth trying and eating over and over.
I think the ingredients can be switched out so easily…. you could add spinach, or some other kind of bean, pasta… So next time you get snowed in….or want a nice warm soup….try this delicious warmer! I am on bowl #2 while writing this post (blaming the run this morning for the hunger pang ;D)
Until next time,