So last week while we decided to eat better- more veggies and proteins, I also thought of trying to cut down the carbs. TOUGH JOB…esp for me where I love my breads, pastas and Rice. But I am trying…. I have cut out Bread from my breakfast….eggs are eaten without bread. Although once a week do eat toast…Those times, it is RYE Bread. Rye grain is healthier option than Whole Wheat as well. I am also trying not to too much pasta…although I switched to whole wheat ages ago…cutting it out completely is going to be hard…so as of now trying to bring down the portion and adding other ingredients–veggies, greens and/or proteins. Also I am trying to buy greens and vegetables I have not eaten before (Ya there are quite a few things I have not tried).
That brings me to today’s recipe =) I bought Kale on my last grocery shopping. I have used it once before in soup and it was yum. So I decided to buy some and use it in pasta. Kale is one crunchy green–a little tough…. you would be chewing it for a while if eating raw. Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium.
While searching for some Kale Pasta salad recipes, I found out that it is always better to cook Kale and eat. Well… nothing like steaming greens, as such Kale is best eaten steamed, microwaved or stir-fried. I have small steam baskets that I put on a medium sized pot and use to steam the Kale. Then I used the same water to boil my pasta.
WHOLE WHEAT PENNE WITH SICILIAN LEMON BALSAMIC KALE
1/2 Bunch Kale
1/4 pound Whole Wheat Penne (1/4 box)
2 tsp Olive Oil (I used chipotle flavored oil)
3 tsp Sicilian Balsamic Vinegar (It’s a white vinegar)
Salt and Pepper to your taste.
1. Remove the Kale leaves from the tough stems and cut them in shreds. Steam the Kale-this will take 5-7 minutes. Once ready keep it aside. It will shrink to like 1/3 of its original size.
2. Boil the pasta as per package.
3. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and mix with the steamed Kale. Add the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top it with some shredded Parmesan cheese. Enjoy it warm.
- Instead of Chipotle Oil, just use regular olive oil and add some red pepper flakes for a little heat.
- I found the Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar in Local Oil and Vinegar store. You could either use red wine vinegar or add some regular vinegar and lemon juice. Using lemon juice was a suggestion in many recipes I searched.
Kale is my new favorite greens. Spinach is forever my favorite…. but Kale is another set of greens that is yum. I am looking forward to making Kale Chips and Kale Pesto =)
Do try Kale… I am sure you will like it.
Until next time,