Here is the recipe:
Lemon Drop Martini Cupcakes
From A Cup of Sugar…A Pinch of Salt
Makes 24 Cupcakes
For the vanilla lemon cupcakes:
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour cream
For the vodka lemon frosting:
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon vodka
I added yellow food coloring to have some color in the frosting.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a standard sized muffin pan with liners.
3. In the mixing bowl of your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lemon peel and vanilla; mix well.
4. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream (batter will be thick—I used mini ice-cream scooper tofill the liners, time to invest in a bigger scooper 😀)
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
|Since I used scooper I had to bang the liners on the counter for the batter to settle, still some of them did not settle well as you can see =)|
7. To make the frosting, cream butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and vodka; beat until smooth.
8. Frost cupcakes and garnish.
|Some lemon zest sprinkled on would look nice!|
I used stand alone cupcake liners that I found in Marshall’s (they are a little smaller than the standard size. So I was able to get 30 Cupcakes from this recipe. Although the icing was just right for 24 of those cupcakes. I don’t put much icing anyways … so I was able to frost 24 of those. I had to make 1/2 of the frosting recipe again to be able to frost the rest.
I do have to mention that I made the cupcakes on Friday evening and could not frost them last night–thanks to my husband and his eagerness to pick up his parcel from fedex-he got the 7th generation Ipod. I did not understand his eagerness considering he is working the weekend and won‘t get to it until Sunday evening!!!
So after the cupcakes stayed in the fridge over night, got frosting this morning …. they taste yum…refreshing!!! I can’t taste the vodka really… but adding more would have definitely liquified the icing. Although I love how it just uses 3 tbsp of butter…the icing was perfect… and I could actually make the cupcakes look nice =)
My taste testers haven’t got the chance to eat them yet…tonight.. but I am thinking they are going to love the lemon-y-ness of the cupcakes 😉