EGGPLANT ROLL UP (as I call them ;D)
olive oil for Spraying
Pasta Sauce- Marinara or any other of your choice (I used Vodka Sauce-had an open bottle)
freshly grated Asiago cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano (I used parm)
1/4-1/2 cup Bread crumbs- Panko or Plain (I had plain-so used that it)
8 oz Cottage cheese (the ones found in Regular grocery store-I used one made of 2% milk)
Fontina cheese, shredded
Fresh Mozzarella, shredded
Red Pepper- finely chopped
Red Chilli Flakes (if you like spice)
Preheat oven to 425 degree F
1. Trim the stem end of each eggplant. Using a mandoline, cut the eggplant lengthwise into -1/2 inch thick slices- better to have little thick slices when roasting/baking in oven. You should have about 8-10 slices.
2. Sprinkle the eggplant on both sides with kosher salt, layer them in a colander, and let stand for 1 hour. Press the moisture from the eggplant and blot them dry with paper towels.
3. Spray olive (or canola) oil on eggplants, flip and spray again. Put them on a cookie sheet, each slice separate and bake. With 425 deg F temperature, the eggplants should be done in 20 mins.
4. Saute the finely chopped mushrooms and red peppers with salt and Italian seasoning till done. Meanwhile, in another bowl mix cottage cheese, shredded fontina cheese and fresh mozzarella with peppers, and chilli flakes. Once the veggies are done, mix it with the cheeses.
|The stuffing mixture|
5. Spoon sauce into a medium-sized baking dish till bottom of dish is covered in a thin layer. Place a spoonful of filling at one end of each of the eggplant slices. Roll the slice around the filling and place it seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Spoon a tablespoon of sauce over each roll to moisten.
6. Bake until the edges of sauce around the sides of the dish are dark and the rolls are nicely caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with the Asiago (or parm) before serving.
|The Eggplant Roll Up!!|
this will just feed 2 people (standard portion)….you could have some garlic bread on the side if you like….. I ate some, and packed some for lunch tomorrow at work and still had 2 roll ups left (husband might want to try it :D) If you love eggplants, you will love this dish-the stuffing can be mix of any veggies and cheeses you want. The original Eggplant Involtini must taste awesome, but mine is just a tad bit healthier- plus some calcium from Cottage cheese 😀