I have seen all these recipes that uses cauliflower for sauce or crust and have always wanted to try it. So when thinking about tonight’s dinner… I wanted some mac and cheese and lo behold I find a Cauliflower Mac and Cheese!!! The recipe is from Honey and Brie (linked below). Had to try!
(Recipe from honeyandbrie.blogspot.com)
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped white onions
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup half and half (or milk of choice) (I used 2 % milk)
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (depending on your taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups you choice of pasta
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a small pot add cauliflower and 1 cup water, and steam cauliflower until tender. Drain and add cauliflower to blender.
2. Meanwhile, saute onions and olive oil on low heat. Once onions become translucent add minced garlic and saute for one more minute.
3. Add onions and garlic to blender with cauliflower as well as half and half. Puree cauliflower mixture adding water as needed until mixture is smooth, then pour back into a pot on low heat.
4. Mix the two cups of cheese together in a bowl and add half of the cheeses, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth.
5. Boil pasta as directed and drain once pasta is al dente, about 6-9 minutes. Add pasta to cheese mixture, mixing well, and pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top (I also added some Italian Bread Crumbs) and bake on 400 degrees until cheese starts to bubble and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
6. Serve with crispy chopped bacon for an extra kick. —-I do not eat bacon…so I did not add this. SERVE HOT!
I love cauliflower…. so this was perfect dish for me…. there is a slight cauliflower taste…. but there is delicious creaminess without any flour base white sauce or sour cream or huge amount of cheese. I also added some red pepper flakes to add a little heat. I thoroughly enjoyed it as my dinner, have a big container for lunch and still have some left. This could be a perfect side dish….or an entree…. like I ate ;)
Unfortunately I left my camera at work so had to use my cell phone to take pictures…. hence a little dark and pixelated!!! But I promise you it taste so much better than my pictures look :D
Definitely worth the try…. so do try and let me know what you think.
Until next time,